By Simon Moore on May 16, 2016 at 5:06am
Latest instalment in the multi award-winning Civilization franchise offers thrilling new ways to build an empire to stand the test of time.
2K and Firaxis Games are celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Civilization series by announcing that “Sid Meier’s Civilization VI”, the next entry in the award-winning turn-based strategy franchise, is currently in development for PC. As with previous instalments “Sid Meier’s Civilization VI” players will get to lead one of many civilisations in expanding their empire, advancing culture and competing against some of history’s greatest leaders.
“Sid Meier’s Civilization games hold a reputation for defining the 4X gaming genre for the past 25 years. We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the silver anniversary of our longest-running franchise than launching the eagerly anticipated Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, which will provide the most detailed, beautiful and complete experience ever featured in a Civilization game.” - Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K
In “Sid Meier’s Civilization VI”, we’ve been told cities will physically expand across the map to create new, deep strategic layers, active research in technology and culture will unlock new potential ways to play; and the large variety of leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical character traits as players race to achieve victory however they choose to play. Potentially meaning that your oft fought wars with Gandhi may say the man had been hiding his dreams of conquest up his sleeves, if he had any that is.
The game is also due to receive a graphical update, something that could potentially freshen up a franchise that hasn’t changed much in appearance since 2001 and the graphical change “Civilisation III” brought. “The visual presentation of the game is inspired by the maps and tools of the Age of Exploration, and we’ve made several key gameplay changes such as expansive cities and active research that makes Sid Meier’s Civilization VI an entirely unique experience while remaining true to what makes the Civilization series so special.” - Ed Beach
The Newest feature on offer for “Sid Meier’s Civilization VI” include:
· EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain;
· ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures;
· DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations;
· COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units;
· ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session;
· A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems are designed to introduce new players to the underlying concepts of Civilization so they can easily get started on a path to victory.
The game is due to release in October 2016 but with this 2k and Firaxis announcement you can now preorder the title. There will also be a Digital Deluxe edition of the game released containing the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack and access to four post-launch DLC packs that will add new maps, scenarios, civilizations and leaders for a bundled discount.