By Andrew Dodson on November 4, 2016 at 2:31pm
During the opening ceremony of BlizzCon this year, the highly-anticipated new character for "Overwatch," Sombra, was finally introduced in another of Blizzard's spectacular shorts - this one entitled: "Infiltration."
In this short, we get a pretty decent taste of Sombra's confident and manipulative personality and her role in a team, which seems to be a stealth offensive-support character. Along with the short, Blizzard also revealed her official character page on the "Overwatch" website, taking away the need to speculate on her powers. Here's a quick list of her abilities:
- MACHINE PISTOL: Sombra’s fully-automatic machine pistol fires in a short-range spread.
- HACK: Sombra hacks enemies to temporarily stop them from using their abilities, or hacks first aid kits to make them useless to her opponents.
- THERMOPTIC CAMO: Sombra becomes invisible for a short period of time, during which her speed is boosted considerably. Attacking, using offensive abilities, or taking damage disables her camouflage.
- TRANSLOCATOR: Sombra tosses out a translocator beacon. She can instantly return to the beacon’s location while it is active (including when it’s in mid-flight).
- EMP: Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.
Sombra looks like an essential character to have to destroy a team's defenses - either by strategically EMP-ing the group with her ult or simply targeting the most dangerous character and shutting down their abilities with her Hack skill. It also looks like she'll be a very difficult character to track, with her ability to go invisible and use a personal (and throw-able) teleporter.
The character is not out yet, but with all the information we have the character now and with this new short, we expect that she'll be hacking her way into our games soon.
Sombra Character Page